Melting Gingerbread Snowmen
If you are looking for a fun family activity this Christmas, why not try making these jolly melting snowmen!
This recipe calls for a quantity of gingerbread dough. A half batch of the Christmas Gingerbread castle makes approximately 30 gingerbread snowmen.
You will also need royal icing, which bought in a packet and reconstituted with water – just follow the instructions on the packet. There's 'snow' limit to the accessories you can model for your snowmen! Decorate with with piped details, modelled accessories and sweeties, if you'd like.
Preparation time: 60 to 90 minutes
Baking time: 10 to 12 minutes
Half batch gingerbread dough
Ready-to-roll icing, coloured
Black food colouring
Tala Performance Baking Tray
Tala Originals Set 3 Tin Plain Pastry Cutters
Kitchen shaker filled with flour
Small mixing bowl
Tala icing bag set
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (338 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Sprinkle the work surface generously with flour and roll out the dough to a thickness of about 3 to 5mm.
- Select a medium size circular cutter and punch out circles of dough, spacing them evenly onto the baking tray. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- When the biscuits are cool, fill a piping bag with runny white royal icing and pipe the outline of an uneven puddle shape. Allow the outline to dry for a minute or two, then 'flood' the inside of the shape with icing to create a nice smooth puddle.
- While the icing is setting, model little hats, scarves and mittens from ready-to-roll icing and set aside to harden.
- Wash out the piping bag and fill with royal icing coloured black. Pipe coal buttons, a smiley face and twiggy arms. Use the same icing to attach your hats and accessories!
- Enjoy with hot chocolate or a glass of milk!